SQL Monitor comprises three components:
- the web interface, which is hosted on a web server and displays data about your SQL Servers
- the monitoring service, a Windows service that collects data about your SQL Servers
- the SQL Monitor database, a SQL Server database that stores data about your SQL Servers
SQL Monitor doesn't install anything on the instances you monitor.
When you install and set up SQL Monitor, you need to provide credentials to connect:
- the monitoring service to the SQL Monitor database (if you use a Windows account, this account will also run the monitoring service)
- to the machine that hosts the SQL Server you want to monitor
- to every instance you want to monitor
After you install
To start using SQL Monitor, you need to create the Administrator role.
To open SQL Monitor:
- If you installed the SQL Monitor web server, in the Start menu, select Red Gate > SQL Monitor.
- If you configured your own web server using IIS, open the site you configured.