Profiling Microsoft Office managed-code add-ins
Published 28 August 2014
This article relates to both ANTS Performance Profiler and ANTS Memory Profiler.
ANTS Performance/Memory Profiler can profile an add-in produced for any Microsoft Office application using Visual Studio .NET. Add-ins are typically implemented as a dll assembly loaded into the relevant Office application's process. Therefore, you would profile the application that loads your dll in order to get the performance and memory usage data for it from ANTS Performance/Memory Profiler.
For instance, to profile the performance of an add-in for Microsoft Excel, you would:
- Start the profiler
- Choose .NET Desktop Application.
- Browse for and select Excel.exe (c:\program files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE12\Excel.exe).
- Choose to profile Only .NET methods that have source code if your assembly has a corresponding PDB file, or choose another option.
- Excel will start; perform whatever actions are necessary to invoke methods in your add-in.
- Take snapshots (ANTS Memory Profiler) or view the performance profiling results in ANTS Performance Profiler.
The results reflect the managed code performance of your add-in's .NET code.