If any of these requirements are problematic for you (or your organisation), we'd love to hear about it by email.
These requirements apply to both parts of SQL Clone:
- 64-bit operating system
- Minimum: Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows 7
- Recommended: At least Windows Server 2012 or Windows 8
- SQL Server 2008 or later (Express edition is sufficient*)
- .NET 4.5.2 or later (downloaded as part of installation)
* Please note: Clones do not circumvent SQL Server Express' 10GB database size limit since SQL Server still perceives the clone as its original size.
SQL Clone Server requirements
A single central server is required to use SQL Clone within an organization, it co-ordinates agents, and serves the SQL Clone web app.
- Access to a SQL Server (2008 or later) for storing configuration data
- CREATE ANY DATABASE permission on the server to create its configuration database, at least SELECT/UPDATE/INSERT/DELETE permissions on the configuration database
- If using Windows Server 2008r2 or Windows 7, installation upgrades security defaults to match later Windows versions:
- TLS 1.2 enabled (part of installation)
- SendTrustedIssuerList disabled (part of installation)
- If using Windows 10 or Windows Server 2016, installation allows Edge to access sites hosted on the local machine:
- LoopbackExempt permission added to Edge (part of installation)
SQL Clone Agent requirements
An agent should be installed on the same machine as any SQL Server you wish SQL Clone to use as a source of images, destination for clones, or temporary scratch space for restoring backups.
This requires a user account which has:
- Local admin privileges in order to use the Virtual Disk Service
- Read/write access to network locations where images will be stored
- If you wish to use Windows Authentication for SQL Server:
- On local SQL Server instances where clones will be created and dropped
- Membership in the sysadmin fixed server role.
- On local SQL Server instances images will be created from
For a computer not connected to the internet, you will need to manually install these pre-requisites before running the SQL Clone Agent installer