Moving the SQL Monitor database
Published 21 October 2021
If you want to move the SQL Monitor database (also called the Data Repository), follow these steps:
- Stop the Base Monitor service.
To do this, go to Services (select Start > Run, enter services.msc and click OK) and stop SQL Monitor 10 Base Monitor.
- In your SQL Server management tool, back up your current Data Repository database and then restore it to your preferred location. If you did not change the default name when installing, the Data Repository database will be called RedgateMonitor.
Edit the SQL Monitor configuration file to update the connection string that locates the SQL Monitor database.
Navigate to the folder you specified for the configuration file during installation.
Default location:C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\SQL Monitor. ProgramData is often a hidden system folder.
Open RedGate.SqlMonitor.Engine.Alerting.Base.Service.exe.settings.config in a text editor or XML editor. The Data Repository database is specified in the <connectionStrings> section near the end of the file:
<connectionStrings><add name="DataConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=MACHINENAME\SQLInstancename;Initial Catalog=RedgateMonitor;Integrated Security=True;Application Name="SQL Monitor - Repository""/> </connectionStrings>
By default, this entry points to the Data Repository database that you specified during installation. To move the Data Repository to a different database, edit this entry to point to a different Data Source (SQL Server instance) and Catalog (database name). For example:
<add name="DataConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=SECUREMACHINENAME\MyInstance;Initial Catalog=RedgateMonitor;Integrated Security=True;Application Name="SQL Monitor - Repository""/>
- Save the configuration file.
- Restart the SQL Monitor Base Monitor service.
- Launch SQL Monitor in your browser. To check that your change has been made, go to the About page (Configuration > About). Under Base Monitor, ensure that the settings for Database have been updated to the new database name.