Feature usage reporting with the SDK
Published 31 December 2012
The SDK allows you to extend feature usage reporting. For example, you can use the SDK to customize the feature usage reporting consent dialog box, as described below.
You can also use a transport protocol other than HTTP for the feature reports, or save an encrypted report to disk, or use T-SQL to fetch reports from the server.
To customize the feature usage reporting consent dialog box
Follow the steps below to create and enable a customized consent dialog box:
Use the sample code at %ProgramFiles%\Red Gate\SmartAssembly 7\SDK\Usage Reporting\ to create your custom dialog box in Visual Studio.
For .NET Core applications, you should use .NET Standard version of the SDK, located in: %ProgramFiles%\Red Gate\SmartAssembly 7\SDK\Usage Reporting\2 Without UI (.NET Standard)\
- Build the custom dialog box as a DLL.
- In SmartAssembly, in the Project Settings, either scroll to the Feature Usage Reporting feature settings pane or, on the toolbar, click the Feature Usage Reporting icon.
- Select I want my application to report how it is used.
- Select Custom Template.
- Click Browse for a Template and then select the DLL that you created.
- If error reporting is not enabled, complete the Application name, Company name and Project name.