Published 22 November 2018
Microsoft SQL Server support
SQL Backup Pro supports the following versions of Microsoft SQL Server:
- SQL Server 2019 (64-bit only)
- SQL Server 2017 (64-bit only)
- SQL Server 2016 (64-bit only)
- SQL Server 2014 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- SQL Server 2012 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- SQL Server 2008 R2 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- SQL Server 2008 (32-bit and 64-bit) - Service Pack 1 is supported but not required.
- SQL Server 2005 (32-bit and 64-bit) - Service Packs 1, 2 and 3 are supported but not required.
- SQL Server 2000 (32-bit and 64-bit) - Service Pack 3a or later is required.
The following editions of each version are supported:
- Business Intelligence Edition (SQL Server 2012 only)
- Developer Edition
- Enterprise Edition
- Standard Edition
- Web Edition
- Workgroup Edition
SQL Backup Pro provides limited support for SQL Server Express Edition; the SQL Backup Pro graphical user interface does not support scheduled backup jobs, scheduled restore jobs or log shipping with this edition.
Microsoft Windows support
SQL Backup Pro supports the following Microsoft Windows operating systems:
- Windows 10/Windows Server 2016/Windows Server 2019
- Windows Server Core 2016*
- Windows 8/Windows 8.1/Windows Server 2012/Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows 7
- Windows Server 2008 R2
The option to copy backups to an Amazon S3 Bucket (SQL Backup Pro 9.0 and later) is not supported on Windows 2000 running on 32-bit or 64-bit systems.
If you reqire support for earlier versions of Windows, these are still supported by SQL Backup Pro 10.0 and earlier.
* - For Windows Server Core 2016 the Server Components are supported. The GUI is currently unsupported on this version.
.NET framework requirements
The graphical user interface Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 or later.
The option to copy backups to an Amazon S3 Bucket or Azure hosted storage requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 or later on the Server.
If you require support for earlier .NET Framework versions, SQL Backup Pro 10.0 requires .NET Framework 4.5 or later.
Platform support for x86 64-bit and x86 32-bit
If you run 32-bit and 64-bit machines, note these platform support details:
- The SQL Backup Pro GUI is a .NET 4.7.2 Windows Forms application, compiled to run in 32-bit mode only. There should be no performance degradation caused by this limitation on x86 64-bit machines.
- The SQL Backup Agent service is a native 32-bit process. It cannot be run in 64-bit mode. This should not degrade performance on an x86 64-bit machine.
- SQL Backup Pro's extended stored procedures are available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Use the 32-bit versions with 32-bit versions of SQL Server, the 64-bit versions with 64-bit versions of SQL Server.
- SQL Backup Pro's command line tools are all 32-bit processes. They cannot be run in 64-bit mode. This should not degrade performance on an x86 64-bit machine.
- SQL Backup Pro does not support
BACKUP TO URLand
RESTORE FROM URLintroduced in SQL Server 2012 SP1 cumulative update 2. You can use
WITH COPYTO_HOSTEDto upload a copy of a backup to an Amazon S3 Bucket. For more information, see Backing up to Cloud Storage Settings.
- SQL Backup Pro does not support cumulative backups in a single file.
- SQL Backup Pro can be installed on SQL Server instances included in AlwaysOn Availability Groups (introduced in SQL Server 2012). SQL Backup Pro must be installed on each SQL Server instance separately; you cannot use the cluster installation. It is now expected to set up the same job on all the replicas, so that in the event of a failover, any scheduled jobs on the failed over replica will continue. See AlwaysOn Availability Groups for more information.
- SQL Backup Pro fully supports FILESTREAM storage introduced in SQL Server 2008.
- To restore from a backup file that was created with SQL Backup 6 or later to a SQL Server instance running SQL Backup 5, you must first convert the backup file.